Visiting Maidstone The County Town Of Kent
1. I think that first and foremost on the list in this year of important events, should be the fact that Maidstone is only 1 hour by rail from London, this means that for the Queens Jubilee in June with all its pomp and ceremony , and of course the Olympics with all the spectacle that this event has to offer in July, you can stay in the county town of kent at a fraction of the price that the London hotels and Guest Houses.
2. Maidstone is centrally located for visits to Chatham Dockyard, the historic City of Rochester, Canterbury, London, Hever Castle, Sissinghurst Castle, Bodiam Castle, Great Dixter, Leeds Castle, Batemans (the home of Radyard Kipling), Igtham Moat and many many more within 1 hour’s drive from the town. So why keep moving around when you can settle in one place and visit the surrounding area from there.
3. Another aspect of staying in Maidstone is that the sea is never far away. We have beaches as near as the Isle of Sheppy at 30 mins, Tankerton and Herne Bay at 45 mins, Margate and Ramsgate 1 hr away. You can even venture into East Sussex from here with popular resorts like Brighton, Rye, Hove and Hastings taking no more than 1hr.30mins.
4. Now to the town itself, Maidstone has a very good shopping centre, Theatre, Cinemas, varied and good restaraunts and of course a thriving night life. On the cultural side we have an excellent museum and a carriage museum and a host of medieval houses hidden above the shops in the town centre.
5. Last but certainly not least is the river that runs through the town. Walkers can take to the river walk and if feeling energetic enough can walk the river all the way to Tonbridge and get the bus back. We have a large park with a boating lake around which you can also enjoy a good stroll. The river also has a pleasure craft which will take you on a short tour of the river from Maidstone to Allington Lock where you can leave the boat at the Malta Inn and enjoy a refreshing drink or lunch by the riverside. From here you can also go to the Kent Life Experience which has attractions for adults and children alike and at the end of your lunch or vist you can return to the town centre by boat or take a walk back to the town along the tow path which will take around 45 minutes.
TO SUM UP
Maidstone is an all rounder, it has one of the most famous Osteopathy schools in the world and students come from all over the globe to study at the Maidstone Centre. The town boasts a university also drawing students from as far away a Japan and Europe. We welcome visitors from all over the world who come on business and pleasure and have a great accommodation base going from the moderately priced and homely bed and breakfasts to middle priced hotels and of course the hight priced hotels and if something special or different is needed there are the specialist hotels like Leeds Castle and Chilston Park a few miles out of town to make a visit even more special.